Is your family at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning?

Carbon monoxide is an odourless, tasteless, invisible gas that can cause health problems before you even notice that it’s quietly lurking in your home somewhere.

CO can only be detected with a carbon monoxide alarm, so make sure at least one is installed in your home. Carefully follow the manufacturer’s suggestions for installation, testing, use and replacement.

Contact your municipal or provincial government office for more information on the use and installation of carbon monoxide alarms in your area. Your local fire department may also be able to assist you.

Additional steps you can take to protect yourself include:

  1. Make sure appliances are well maintained and inspected by a professional at least once a year. This includes furnaces, fireplaces, gas stoves and water heaters.
  2. Never use gas-powered machines (trimmers, generators, lawnmowers, snow blowers, barbecues or portable fuel-burning camping equipment) in the garage, even when the door is open. This includes idling your car.
  3. Never use a barbecue or portable fuel-burning camping equipment inside your home, vehicle, camper or tent.
  4. Finally, never use kerosene or oil space heaters and lamps in enclosed areas unless they’re specifically designed for indoor use.

Find more information at