No matter where you live, mould can be found around you. Mould is the common word for any fungus that grows on food or damp building materials.
People living in homes with mould and damp conditions are more likely to have eye, nose and throat irritation; coughing and phlegm buildup; wheezing and shortness of breath; and worsening of asthma symptoms.
What should you do to make sure this unwanted visitor doesn’t stay?
1. Look for damp spots and identify the problem.
Check basements, closets, windowsills and around sinks, tubs and pipes. Dry any surfaces where moisture has collected.
2. Repair water leaks ASAP.
Clean up immediately after any water leak or flooding.
3. Keep your home well ventilated.
Always turn on your kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans when cooking, showering or bathing. Let the fan run for a few minutes after you’re done. Make sure your clothes dryer, stove, kitchen and bathroom fans all vent to the outdoors.
4. Seal tubs and sinks.
Make sure the seal is tight, so water doesn’t leak into the walls.
5. Throw out basement clutter.
Cardboard boxes and old clothes are great places for mould to grow. If you need to store items, be sure to use plastic bins with lids.
6. Reduce humidity.
Keep humidity low, about 50 per cent in the summer and 30 per cent in colder weather. You can use a hygrometer — an inexpensive tool available at most hardware stores — to measure humidity.
7. If needed, use a dehumidifier or air conditioner to reduce humidity levels. Clean often.
Regularly clean and disinfect anything that holds water, like humidifiers, dehumidifiers and air conditioners.
Clean surfaces affected by mould with water and dish detergent. Bleach is not necessary to remove mould.
Consider hiring a professional if you have a lot of mould (greater than three square metres), it comes back after repeated cleanings or someone in your household suffers from asthma or other respiratory problems because of it.
Find more information at canada.ca by searching the keywords “mould” and “home.”
credit – newscanada